How to Choose Right Construction Machine for Your Project?
In the case of huge construction projects, proper use of the appropriate equipment contributes to economy, quality, safety, speed and timely completion of a project. Hence, it is extremely necessary to choose the right construction machine for your project. Now the question is how? Well, we will tell you as to how to go about it. But before getting into the details regarding how to choose the right construction machine for your project, it is necessary to have some information about the segment as a whole.
So, the Construction Equipment (CE) sector includes a variety of equipment that can be divided into various categories. Typically, the CE sector is made up of five main segments i.e., earth moving equipment, road CE, concrete equipment, material handling equipment, and material processing equipment. While the earth moving equipment and road CE segment account for close to 70 per cent of Indias CE market, the concrete equipment is the second largest segment with a market share of approximately 14 per cent. Material handling equipment and material processing equipment segment account for 10 per cent and 6 per cent of the market respectively.
Finding the right construction machine
So, now that you know about the various CE, here is how you should go about selecting the right machine for your project...
1. Due diligence is extremely important: You need to thoroughly investigate and research before buying any long-term asset like CE. You need to define your requirements well in advance and then look for the models of CE that can meet all your specific needs.
2. Identify the type of job: The type of job that you want to perform will help you to determine the type of CE that you need. So, before choosing any equipment, take some time to determine the technicalities involved with the job that you are planning to do at the construction site. For small demolitions, light transportation of building materials, digging holes/excavation, landscaping, breaking asphalt, paving roads, laying pipes, planting underground cables, laying foundation for buildings and drainage systems, you might require a backhoe loader. Take note that backhoe loaders come in various specifications, so consider this fact as well.
3. Know about the size of the project: After knowing about the job type, it is necessary to figure out the size of the project as well as this can also help you to find out the right equipment. Bigger projects may require very heavy equipment for long term as against the smaller projects. So, it is good to know about the project size.
4. Identify the job conditions: Apart from knowing the job type and size, it is also necessary to find out the job conditions like whether it is a hilly, rocky or uneven terrain, loose soil or valley where the equipment will be used. Even the climate and weather conditions should be taken into account in order to select the right equipment.
5. Consider the size of CE: After knowing the job type, size and condition, if you have found out the equipment you need, then before finalising, do consider the equipment size as that is also important. Very large and heavy construction equipment give higher output on full load and if there is part load only, then the cost of production increases. Typically smaller equipment working on full load saves lot of production cost. Further, larger equipment need expensive spare parts, more storage space and even their repair and maintenance cost is expensive. However, larger machines are usually more sturdy and suitable for tough working conditions. Hence, there are pros and cons of both smaller and larger machines. So, it is very much desirable to have equipment of the required size for the project.
6. Determine the unit cost of production: Another important consideration in selection of the right equipment is the economics of equipment. When calculating the purchasing cost, all related expenses such as transportation, insurance, commissioning etc., should be included to determine the right production cost.
7. Consider the price: Checking the cost of the equipment is also very important. You need to set the price range for yourself. If the price of CE is within your budget and it can do more than what you need it to do, then you can definitely select that equipment.
8. Check the availability of spare parts: While selecting a particular type or make of equipment, you need to ensure that you choose only those equipment whose spare parts are available at reasonable costs during the entire working life of the equipment. This is because any downtime due to shortage of spare parts can lead to long idle periods, thereby, affecting the jobsite efficiency.
9. Consider equipment versatility: You should always opt for a equipment which could perform more than one function and should be inter-convertible wherever possible. This way, your purchasing cost can be justified.
10. Buy the equipment from trustworthy manufacturers: It is always good to buy the equipment from an authentic manufacturer or quality and committed dealers whom you can approach at the time of crisis. Always opt for a manufacturer or dealer who is sincere and capable of extending prompt after sales service.
11. Determine the adaptability for future use: You should always choose a machine which could be used in future as well. In fact, obsolescence of the machine should not be overlooked.
12. Choose a machine that offers safety and efficiency: Last but not the least, the reason behind using the construction machinery is to make work easier and more effective. So, if you are choosing any equipment, then ensure that it offers more efficiency to your project. Further, only those equipment should be chosen that meet the international safety standards as through this way, you can easily ensure the safety of your workers. It is a known fact that substandard equipment always cause a lot of problems when it comes to safety.
Overall, standard equipment that are commonly manufactured and are easily available in the market should be selected. Since, they are manufactured in large numbers, they are moderately priced too. Their spare parts are also easily available at an affordable rate.
Undoubtedly, selecting the right CE is always a difficult process for many people but with proper research and methodology in place, the task can become much easier. So, if you have considered all the above mentioned points, then definitely go forth and buy the equipment of your choice which can give you good return of investment in the long run and add up to your list of efficient CE.